Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vamos a la playa....oh...oh...oh..oh!

Last weekend was a whirlwind of events. Friday was Father´s Day here and boy do they like to celebrate their holidays. Signs everywhere, car windows painted, even ground beef at the grocery store was molded into ¨Feliz dia de papa!¨ Now that´s dedication. My family celebrated with Pollo Campero (a sort of KFC - but do NOT compare the two restaurants to a Gautemalteco) and then we watched Wild Hogs on tv. I made it halfway through before I went to bed early. Wild Hogs isn´t my favorite movie in English and while it was slightly better in Spanish I thought sleep was a better option.

On Saturday I went with two of my brothers and my sister, and nine kids from their church, to Cerro Alux, which is a huge ecological park basically on top of a mountain. It was beautiful but very cold and wet as we were essentially in the clouds. It was fun to interact with kids but also frustrating because its hard for me to understand them. And naturally they were shy and slightly wary of the tall extra-white gringa. But they cheered for me on the swing and gleefully pulled me up and down a hill on a zip line. After a long day of rain, mud, cold and mixtas, it was a relief to go to Melissa´s house where we ate pizza, ¨watching soccer,¨ and avoided Melissa´s soul mate, a.k.a a Michael Jackson impersonator. Now I´ve got your attention haven´t I? Well long story short, and I have her permission to tell the story just FYI, Melissa went on a date with a guy named Brian, slightly against her will but her mom sort of pushed her into it. He also gave her a watch, which I mean come on, when does that ever NOT work? So they went to get ice cream and instead of going to any ice cream store within 100 feet of her house he took her to Antigua, roughly 45 min away, where she found out he works as a Michael Jackson impersonator. Okay so the point of this whole story is that he told her they were soul mates because they liked the same things. So yeah, she´s been avoiding him ever since.

The next day we all went to the beach, minus Seth because he doesn´t really like the beach. Melissa´s parents took us and it was a great day. Without going hour by hour here is a rundown of the day:
- Jammed to Spanish music while hammering Bethy (Melissa´s mom) with questions about the volcanoes, ocean, food, etc. (p.s. Cristy if you´re reading this Bethy said there are a TON of sharks in Guatemala. Just saying.)
- Sang Vamos a la playa, a song we still do not fully understand to this day, nor do we actually know the beat. However, that hasn´t stopped us from singing it yet.
- Drank coconut water with Melissa´s parents hovering saying ¨que rico!¨ roughly every minute or so. It tasted good for about 5 minutes and then I had to force it down. It´s definitely an acquired taste. Some us feigned interest in the actual coconut meat, some actually liked it, and others were not as quiet about their dislike. ·cough· Melissa.
- Burned out feet on the black sand
- Burned out bodies from the hot as hell sun
- Got our asses kicked by the waves. Like seriously, at one point I bit the sand so hard I had sand all the way up my nose. And in other not for friendly places. Now when I say sand I really mean black pebbles. So we all had black pebbles, everywhere, and at some point or another everyone bit the dust, even Bethy who spent most of the time yelling ¨Cuidado mis hijas!¨ (be careful my daughters!)
- Slept in hammocks under palm trees
- Stopped to get ice cream and walk around in Antigua on the way back

Perfect Day

No comments:

Post a Comment